The condition of your roof will not only affect its longevity,but the structural stability of your home too. The roof can get damaged due to a number of reasons like wind or hail. It’s usually difficult to identify with yourself whether you need a roof restoration or repairs. Some of the primary causes of the roof damages, their identification and how to handle them are discussed below.
The Wind Damage
It appears as weak point, that’s caused by winds over 50mph and they weaken with time. The weak points may result in roof leakage due to water penetration and the deterioration of the roof structure. The damage is apparent by the following
- misshapen shingles along the edges
- Loosening of corner materials
- Presence of shingle pieces
- Missing shingles.
The missing shingles should be immediately replaced to prevent water damage in your Manchester home. In case of significant damage,contact a roofing contractor for the roof repairs in Manchester. You should keep the pictures of the roof damage for insurance purpose.
Hail is not a usual occurrence and the damage caused by hail can be detected by the following
- Bruised Shingles – Identify the presence of dimples by moving your hand over the shingle surface. When pressed if it breaks the shingle is damaged permanently.
- Cracked shingles – Visible as cracks running through a shingle.
- Missing Granules – Visible as different colored bare or smooth spots.
Hail damage and the tree damage(damage due to a tree falling on the roof) needs professional handling so contacting a roofing contractor is best. Its cost is usually covered by insurance.
Other causes include general wear and tear and poor installation. The damage due to general wear and tear can be limited by inspecting the roof at least once a year and immediate repairs of the problem if any.